REGIONAL UTILITY COMPANY
Growing from a position of strength
With a decline to its earnings looming in the regulated energy business, a regional power company in southern Germany was facing losses well into double-digit millions. The imperative, driving the company, was to find a strategy to compensate these losses, so they brought goetzpartners on board to help.
The company’s board was looking to mount its counter-offensive with interventions in two key areas: by raising internal efficiency and by capturing new business in the non-regulated sector. This would deliver EBITDA growth in the range of 50% within the next four to five years.
In the search for promising new-business strategies, it became clear that above all widespread geographical presence would provide opportunities to deliver services to businesses and municipalities. An integrated digital solution proved to be a promising new sales approach – goetzpartners provided the expertise, and a marketing platform was established.
The speed at which the utility company got the new services to market can be attributed to the clear focus on feasibility. It made a huge difference that the company – with the help of goetzpartners – was able to change its perspective and design its offering around the individual needs of customers on the open market.
CHALLENGES FOR CLIENT
- Need to compensate for loss of earnings on the regulated energy market
- Development of a growth strategy
- Conducted a demand analysis for customers in the non-regulated sector
- Completed a portfolio analysis of products, experiences and services in the company
- Identified service packages that would act as a basis for the growth strategy
- Developed a digital marketing platform
- Targeted expansion of the portfolio
- Development of offerings and market rollout
- Successful change of perspective with a view to the non-regulated market